Monday, October 8, 2012

Game 28 - Minnesota Twins



My parents, Dave, and I decided at the last minute to head to Minneapolis for the Twins / White Sox game. Dave and I had been in Green Bay for the Bears / Packers game on Thursday night, so we drove from Green Bay and I met my parents near Madison, Wisconsin and finished the rest of the drive in one car. I had been to Minneapolis once before, but this was the first time to the new Target Field for all of us. We stayed downtown at the Westin, just a short walk to the stadium. 

True to fashion, we arrived at the ballpark just minutes before first pitch. We walked up to the ticket office and purchased pretty good seats in left field. Once we made our way into the expansive outfield at Target Field, I knew it was going to be a special park. Aesthetically  this was one of our favorite parks, and ultimately, the only drawback to Target Field would be the food options. 
 

After traveling nearly 15,000 miles and seeing 28 ballparks, I think we found our favorite super fan. 'Truck Stop,' a rather large man comfortable enough to embrace his stature, manned the left field bleachers at Target Field. True to his name, 'Truck Stop' wore a Twins jersey the size of a queen down comforter and hung on every pitch. We were fortunate that our seats were a section away and not obstructed by this fella.

 Truck stop celebrating a Twins hit, I think.

View from the left field bleachers towards downtown Minneapolis. The stadium is connected to the center part of the city via pedway, allowing pedestrians easy access to and from the park.

Big Jim, Mom and Dave enjoying the game.

Big Jim and the rest of us really enjoyed Target Field. The stadium is beautiful, and downtown Minneapolis is a lot of fun. I will definitely be back for more games.

Pros: Beautiful, new park with great, expansive layout right in the heart of downtown Minneapolis. I was surprised there wasn't a retractable dome.

Cons: Local food options were disappointing. I hope they make changes to this in the coming years and bring in more local vendors,  much like they have with local beer options.

-JJS

No comments:

Post a Comment