Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Game 29 - Chicago Cubs


On a beautiful, but chilly Saturday in Chicago, we made our way over to Wrigley Field to watch the Cubs battle the Cardinals. We were fortunate enough to have a friend, Andrea Burke, who works for the Cubs. She was very good to us, getting us field access, and seats to the game. Also, Jeanette's friend from college, and life long Cubs fan, Katie, was gracious enough to let us sit in her season tickets for the game. It was a lot of fun to spend some time with Katie and her husband. Katie loves baseball as much as we do, and I hope someday she gets to experience a competitive team in Chicago.

My family and I had been to Wrigley Field several times, but this was the first time my good friend Mike Harth had stepped inside the friendly confines. We had a great weekend spent with friends and family watching Cardinal baseball in the windy city.

Mike, Jeanette, Dave and me on the field before the game 

It's always a lot of fun watching baseball at Wrigley. I used to live right by the Stadium when I first moved to Chicago, and there is a certain energy around the ballpark. There is also a lot of binge drinking, but Cubs fans in general are very passionate about their team and want nothing more than to win like the Cardinals. As a Cardinals fan traveling to every ballpark, you realize how fortunate we are that nearly every year our team is competitive, and many teams the best in baseball. 

This weekend was actually my 30th birthday, so it was a special time for my family and me to be able to enjoy all the things that I enjoy in one place: baseball, and spending time with the people you care about. Plus, I got to see three Cardinals games that weekend!

Pros: Yes, the team is terrible, but there are very few places on earth like Wrigley Field. I am in favor of making some aesthetic changes and bringing in better food options, but there is something special about having major league baseball in the heart of a great city.

Cons: Falling concrete and AAA team playing for the Cubs. I'm torn on whether to include the men's urinal troughs as a pro or a con...

Jeanette and me on the field prior to the start of the game



My Dad and I walking down the right field line

Mike, Bitter, Moore and me enjoying the action

-JJS

No comments:

Post a Comment